Saturday, September 21, 2013

The Loss of a Dear Friend

Al was a dear friend and I shall surely miss him. He took his life, and there was nothing I could have done to prevent it from happening. It was quick, in the privacy of his home, and in the middle of the night. The evening before, he and another friend had dinner together at their favorite restaurant. There was no indication to any of us that Al had formulated his plan. Nevertheless, the details had been made, even to leave his important documents on the table.

Al was loved in our community. He often helped several elderly widows in one way or another; getting their groceries, taking them to doctors’ and hair appointments, planting their shrubs and cleaning their eves. I loved to work with him, removing overgrown shrubs, digging out the rocks so new shrubs could be planted, chopping out roots, laying sods and putting up Christmas lights. Sometimes, from his garage workshop, he'd find me the bolt or a hook that I needed. There were shelves full of model cars that he built over the years, and hanging from the garage ceiling were either scale model planes or flying models with gas engines. Several tall ships adorned the shelves.

After we laid a neighbor's sod, I remember saying to Al that I knew he must have Jesus in his heart because we worked so well together. Besides, I told him, I knew because he loved to help the widows in our small community. I invited him a couple of times to attend a men’s fellowship dinner at the church, where there'd be a guest speaker. He enjoyed those events. When we invited a number of people from our community for dinner, a neighbor lady was talking so loudly that he politely asked her to “-be silent so Keith can ask the blessing.”

During his lifetime, he had attended church, but discontinued going because of a breakdown in his marriage. To help him overcome his discouragement, his two sons introduced him to the hobby of building model cars, planes and ships. He must have built them in earnest because there were so many. He lived alone and was obviously very lonely, except for the times when he was helping others. During those times, he was happy and would work until the sweat ran from the end of his nose. We'd take a break for lunch on the patio and Al would tell us about his sons whom he loved and for whom he was greatly concerned for their success and good health. Then, we'd go and finish our project in a neighbor’s garden.

I noted those things about Al because I know a person has to be right with God to be with Him after death. Al had a Christian’s faith. I'm sure he did, even though he didn't loudly proclaim it like some others do. Because Al accepted my comment, that he must have the spirit of Jesus in his heart, it assured me that he was right with God and would enjoy eternity in Heaven. By his love for helping others, his radiance when working on a project with others, and his ability not to use the Lord’s name in vain, I knew he loved God. I am reminded of the Scribe who asked Jesus, "What commandment is the foremost of all?" Jesus responded by saying, “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength and the second commandment is to love your neighbor as yourself.” Al loved God and he certainly loved his neighbors. He'd do anything to help them. Although we'll miss him very much, it is our hope that he is with God in Heaven.

2 comments:

  1. I have lost friends and loved ones to suicide. A coworker reminded me that we do not know what the person's last thought was; that although death was imminent, they still had time to call out to Jesus. He was surely there.

    I am so sorry for the loss of this very special man. He must have been in great pain. May God comfort you, his sons, and those he touched.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Mansion Reserved For Al

    Thank you, Piper Mom, for your sincere sympathy. Yes, Al must have been suffering quietly and immensely for a long time. Building so many models, working on garden projects with us, and caring for the widows in our community were his happy times, but he must have been extremely lonely when we wouldn’t see him for days.

    Today, I met a little old neighbor lady pushing her walker ever so slowly and I stopped to talk with her. She had been in the hospital recently. She told me that Al had visited her a couple of times and he brought her a piece of cake. She thought he was a wonderful person and hoped he would be in Heaven. I agreed.

    I know that Al was God-fearing in that he was entirely comfortable in the company of my Christian friends when I invited him to our Men’s Fellowship dinners. He didn’t disagree with me when I said I knew he had the love of Jesus in his heart. I also saw his need to have the blessing said at dinner. Ladies who benefited from his kindness in taking them to their appointments or getting their groceries, told me about his thoughtfulness. He loved doing acts of kindness for others. The good deeds he did were from the goodness of his heart, and they remind us profoundly, that Jesus would have done the same. He had love in his heart like Jesus had, not because it would earn him a place in Heaven, but because his desire to help was sincere. Scripture tells us that “This is the record, that God hath given us eternal life, and that life is in His Son. He who hath the Son hath life and he who hath not the Son of God, hath not life.” (1 John 5: 11, 12). It will be good to meet Al once again, for then, it will be in Heaven.


    ReplyDelete