Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Congratulations Are In Order

I would be remiss if I did not congratulate our Langley Legion Pipes and Drums for their accomplishment in winning two first prizes and one second, in the Squamish British Columbia Highland Games on June 19 2010.  Kevin Sutherland is the pipe major.  This is the band to which I belong since we moved to BC.  I am not claiming honors for myself, but I enjoy being able to say I am affiliated with this accomplished band.  On that Saturday, I was unable to join in the competition because of an invitation that had been given to me weeks earlier, to play for a piano recital in White Rock.

At the band’s practice the following Wednesday, notes by the piping and drumming adjudicators were read and absorbed.  Encouraging comments were very much enjoyed; ones such as “the bass drummer was spot on.”  That must be a Scottish expression.  Another comment that caused pipers to perk up their ears and smile was that their introductory E’s came in simultaneously.  Two trophies stood tall on the table, to be admired as comments were read and discussed.

On a subsequent practice night, members of the legion were having a social.  They invited the pipe band to perform on stage.  I had the pleasure to participate and thus was able to share with the band their exhilaration that came from having been recognized as champions.

On the Saturday that our pipe band won its first prizes, I had the honor of piping nineteen piano students onto the stage of White Rock Baptist Church.  I was asked to play “Highland Cathedral.”  It was a pleasure to lead those who had performed from the vestibule, down the aisle and onto the platform.  I concluded the whole program, having experienced the finest acoustics of any auditorium in which I have ever played.  The sound was absolutely clean and suitable to the selection that could easily be accepted as Scotland’s National Anthem.  I basked in the honors that were being given to those who had magnificently performed, because the student musicians were given a standing ovation for their exceptional skills.  I felt the pipes were also being recognized as an integral part of the program.

No comments:

Post a Comment