Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Wedding Medley

It was the biggest wedding for which I had ever played. The bride wanted a worshipful ceremony, with all her friends attending. The church was filled to capacity, which is 800 people. She knew and loved everyone because she administered the children’s program.  To assure full attendance, it was a holiday, Remembrance Day.

In planning the music, she asked the organist to play the introductory selections and the pianist to play for her singing group. The piper would play the bride and groom out of the church to the reception hall immediately after the ceremony.

The bride and I sat down beforehand in the sanctuary and discussed the piper’s music. She wanted it to be worshipful and to include recognizable hymn-tunes suitable to the occasion. My pipes were with me, so I began with, “Blest Be The Tie That Binds,” “Love Divine, All Loves Excelling,” and “The Love of God.” She was delighted and said she would love to have me continue the medley with hymns such as those, to lead the guests from the sanctuary into the reception hall.

When the time came, I played additional hymns to include, “When Love is Found,” “What a Fellowship,” “Standing on the Promises,” “Joyful, Joyful, We Adore Thee,” “Hail the Glorious Golden City,” “Highland Cathedral.” and “I Am So Glad.”

Recently, I asked another piper what tune he played to bring in the bride. He answered, “Scotland the Brave,” adding that for most people, it’s simply the majestic sound of the pipes that they like to hear and that the tune itself doesn’t matter. Once, I heard a piper playing “The Road to the Isles,” to pipe the bride and groom out of the church. Appropriate tunes would have been “The Highland Wedding March,” Mary’s Wedding” or “Highland Cathedral.” Of course, it depends upon a piper’s repertoire.

To pipe in the bride, it is well to play classical pieces such as the ones to be found in “Wedding Music for the Church Piper.” Less formal music could be played to pipe the bride and groom from the church. For this recent wedding, I thoroughly enjoyed playing music that was familiar to everyone, having them stand around me, even singing, and taking pictures as I played.

No comments:

Post a Comment