Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Beyond Coincidence

For exercise, my wife and I like to walk in the neighborhood along numerous pathways and through local forests. We live close to the border of the United States, so we decided to check the scenery in Washington State, just south of British Columbia. Friends told us about an interesting walk near Bellingham. On a Monday morning, we set off to discover the walk and brought a picnic lunch to enjoy after our hike.

Finding the parking lot and the pathway, we followed it down to a stream and then up onto a street. An arrow on a post pointed in opposite directions and we were undecided which way to go. We asked a tall gentleman who came along, and he volunteered to direct us. He told us he had walked on this pathway many times and that he would be pleased to show us if we cared to walk along with him. As we walked, he gave us a running commentary, showing us where there had been factories, shipping docks, a railway station, and now luxury apartments. The path took us down gullies with mountain streams, and back up onto an interesting business street. Along either side of that street were cherry trees in full blossom and far ahead, across the bay, could be seen white-capped mountains. We walked along the seashore and through a park where people were enjoying the sunny day.

Ultimately, our new friend left and continued on his way into town. He had been of considerable help to us when we wanted to become acquainted with the town’s scenery. His coming along was beyond coincidence, because we realize it’s the way God interjects Himself into our everyday activities. He lets us know of His presence if we are aware. If we are not aware, we would miss much of what He does for us that show He cares, and because we know of God’s presence, we can acknowledge His thoughtfulness.

Isaiah 46:4
Isaiah 46:4

A few days later, we once again experienced God’s loving presence. It was at the church youth’s garage sale. Many tables were set up, and people were sorting through abundant items. Opposite the entrance, a few people were in the library, and I was attracted there. A lady said to me as I entered, “You should have your bagpipes, to create an atmosphere of excitement.” I answered that it would be an excellent idea and I’ll check into it the next time there’s a garage sale. A man inspecting some article, looked up and asked, “Are you a piper?” “Oh yes,” was my response. “I’ve piped for events such as this.” He replied that he also was a piper and that he too, was accustomed to playing at various events. He wondered if I was attached to any pipe band in the area. When I answered that I was quite new here, and hadn’t found a pipe band yet, he produced his card and said he’d give me a call and an invitation to several bands in which he played.

I’ve been hoping and praying that God would pave the way to a pipe band and an opportunity for me to keep in practice. I’m sure God was answering my prayer. I’m especially aware of His presence, for I realize that I was in the church hall less than two minutes before meeting the only other piper in the church hall. We should always be aware of God’s helpful presence. Otherwise we would miss some wonderful experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment