Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Dedicaton of a Celtic Cross

Recently, a piper was heard playing "Be Thou My Vision" for a wedding. I have fond memories of the time when I was asked to play it, but not for a wedding.

This was in Winnipeg, in the early spring and I was home alone on a Saturday morning when the phone rang. The caller asked, "Are you Dr. MacDonald, the piper, and can you play, "Be Thou My Vision?" He seemed quite anxious because he asked all this in one sentence.

I responded, saying, Yes, I am, and yes, of course I can play, "Be Thou My Vision." With that, the person exclaimed, "Well thank God for that!" Naturally, I thought this must be serious business when he was already thanking God that he had located the person he intended to find, and that he could play the hymn requested.

Be Thou My Vision / Celtic Cross

Indeed, this call was unusual, so I asked, "Who is speaking, and why do you want to know if I can play, “Be Thou My Vision?" He was more relaxed after that, and responded, saying, "I am the pastor of First Presbyterian Church by Vimy Park. We plan to dedicate a Celtic cross in the churchyard in June. The program is already printed and it states that the piper will be playing, "Be Thou My Vision" for the congregation to sing. I've asked the Cameron Highlanders whose home this church is, if one of them would play the hymn and no one could. The Pipe-Major suggested your name and that's why I'm phoning. Would you accept our invitation to play for the dedication ceremony?

I graciously accepted his kind invitation and he asked, “May I come up to your place right away and determine how well people might be able to sing to the pipes?" I answered that it would be quite satisfactory if he would come right now and he agreed that he would.

Immediately, I got my pipes as well as a hymnbook from the basement where I usually practiced my pipes. I tuned my pipes so they'd be ready when he came and very soon his knock came on the door. After making ourselves acquainted, the pastor stood in the middle of the living room with the hymnbook in his hands singing, "Be Thou My Vision,” to the skirl of the pipes. We both sensed accomplishment. After the first verse, he nodded, saying, "I'm sure it will work."

The pastor asked me not only to play for the dedication which would be after the service, but also before church began, with every hymn I knew that contained the word "cross."

When the morning came to play, it was still a little cool outside and I played many hymns that contained the word, “cross,” such as “The Old Rugged Cross,” “Jesus, Keep Me Near The Cross,” and “Beneath The Cross Of Jesus.” After the service, I led the whole congregation outside to the cross. I don’t remember what hymn I played but everyone arranged themselves around the cross. When the time came to sing, I played the first verse of “Be Thou My Vision” solo, then continued to play the five verses with congregational singing, ending with the solo. Seven times in all, and everyone considered this to be a very sacred occasion.

Meanwhile, the Cameron Highlanders Pipe Band was standing at attention listening to the dedication. They had returned from having piped for a church parade. None from the band asked for the music, which I think was a bit disappointing, but then, they are not inclined to play hymns on the bagpipes. We certainly are, especially on an occasion such as this. Much planning had been given to dedicating the cross simulating the one on which our Saviour died. I thought you'd be interested in hearing the story.

Another hymn I arranged that was played, this time for a funeral, was "I'd Rather Have Jesus Than Anything." When I heard and saw it on the video I felt that piper had appreciated my arrangement because he was playing something other than "Amazing Grace," which is too often played when other beautiful hymns could be played instead.

It was fun to tell the story of the phone call on a Saturday morning and add the second short story.

No comments:

Post a Comment