Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Preparing for an Engagement


A piper friend, Pastor Michael McNiel in Washington, who is a member of our International Fellowship of Christian Pipers and Drummers, wrote asking for suggestions on what pieces of music he might choose for a memorial service. Because he wanted a hymn to glorify God, I suggested, "To God Be the Glory."  It is one of my favorites; one I learned when I began building a hymn repertoire.  I included it in the medley, "I Sing The Mighty Power of God," "To God Be The Glory," and "Immortal, Invisible, God Only Wise."  Having learned these hymns as a medley, each reminds me of the others.

I have many favorites and to name them, it would have to be according to the occasion, such as for Christmas, Easter, Thanksgiving, Weddings, Funerals, Banquets and for a certain topic in the worship service, such as going out into the world to preach the Gospel.  Then, I'd play, "I Love To Tell the Story of Jesus and His Love," or “Tell Me the Story of Jesus.”  “How Deep the Father’s Love for us” in 6/4 time is a special favorite. 

Even after I delineate my favorite hymns, there will still be a whole list of other hymns that I should have added.  But, besides those I've mentioned, I surely love the Easter hymns, such as, "Were You There?" and "Jesus Paid It All," along with, "My Jesus, I Love Thee," and of course, "The Old Rugged Cross."  After people hear those hymns, everything will be quiet.  "And Can It Be," and "One Day" are special to me, and if I were playing for a funeral service, I'd surely play, "I Stand Amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene," and "Face to Face With Jesus." For a High School girl who sadly lost her life because of a shooting in school, I chose “Safe in the Arms of Jesus.”  I could be inclined to play, "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross," and if it were a nice day in the cemetery, I'd want to play, "When They Ring Those Golden Bells for You and Me!"  One can imagine hearing the bells!  For sure, I love to play, "God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again," "God Will Take Care of You," and " Precious Lord, Take My Hand."  I was thrilled to hear a piper playing one of my arrangements at a funeral.  It was recorded on a video and I was asked to watch it on the net.  It was, “I’d Rather Have Jesus Than Anything.”  

I love the hymn, "The Stranger of Galilee," especially as it is played together with, "No one Ever Cared for Me like Jesus."  That reminds me of another favorite hymn that I first heard as I sat outside the banquet hall waiting for Ruby, my wife, who was the guest speaker at a Christian Women's Club.  The guest soloist sang, "The Woman at the Well."  As soon as I could find a hymnbook containing that hymn, I arranged it for the next time I would be playing in church.  

Even now, as I write, I am reminded of another beautiful hymn, one of my favorites of course, and it is, "In the Garden," and I've played it for several funeral services.  I would choose it for the funeral of a woman, because the soloist at Ruby's mother's funeral sang “In the Garden.”  Later, a soloist sang it at my own mother's memorial service.

As I tell you of my favorite hymns, I would not want to forget, "Trumpet Tune," by Henry Purcell, for which I was complimented at a wedding, when a trumpet player said, "If you continue to play hymns like that, you'll put us trumpet players out of business."  “All six parts of “The Highland Wedding March" are great for playing the bride into the church.  To my list, I could add, "Glorious Things of Thee Are Spoken,” by Franz Joseph Haydn.  It’s called Austrian Hymn, which goes by many other titles such as, “Hail the Glorious Golden City,” “Praise the Lord! Ye Heavens Adore Him,” and “In Thanksgiving Let Us Praise Him.”  It is Austria’s National Anthem.  Then, the tune is known as, “God, Preserve our Noble Emperor.”  It’s very stately.  

If I were to choose one hymn that's really majestic, it would be "Highland Cathedral."  It's not in the hymnbooks, but it is beautiful, especially in a big, acoustically perfect church such as our White Rock Baptist Church.  It just rises to the skies. You will find it in “Songs of Scotland,” Volume 12(a)of The Church Piper.  The hymn, “See What a Morning” by Keith Getty is likewise stimulating.  “The Flower of Scotland” is also a proud song when played according to its original setting.  It can be found in “More Songs of Scotland,” Volume 12(b) of The Church Piper.  Some have rearranged it but without giving it the necessary feel.  It requires the first three notes as the introduction and throughout, a grouping of three notes that cause one to hear those three introductory notes on the right foot with stresses on the left.  This is considered one of Scotland’s National Anthems and it commands national pride, the same as “Highland Cathedral.”   

You can see that I love the hymns, just as I'm sure you do.  One reminds me of another, and they are chosen according to the occasion.  I want to wish you wonderful satisfaction, when you play for a memorial service or for any other special occasion.  If you have to transpose and arrange a piece before you have thoroughly committed it to memory, don't be afraid to use a music stand or hang the music on a wall.  I did, on the day I played, "Londonderry Air" (Danny Boy) for the first time.  I had only been asked a day before if I would play that song and I had to arrange it.  I mentioned to the funeral director, that "Sometimes you fellows don't give a guy much notice."  He replied rather stiffly, saying, "We don't get much notice either." 

A last thought is to tell how a certain hymn came about to be a favorite.  It is, "I Am Trusting.”  Four men at the funeral service of a friend’s father sang it in harmony.  I hadn’t heard it before, but because it was so touching, I told my friend that I'd like to arrange it for the pipes.  He actually found a tattered and torn hymnbook for me from the archives of that country church and endeared himself even more by presenting it to me.  Being tattered, made it more precious.

Don't overlook two beautiful hymns, one of which you might select.  They are, "Abide With Me," and "In the Sweet Bye and Bye."

I will write other comments about my favorite compositions in a separate note.  With this one, you might get the inspiration you need for your next service.

2 comments:

  1. "Highland Cathedral" also made a great tune for piping in the banners of our feeder schools during last year's graduation of the high school where I work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks James. One can imagine the pomp and ceremony that just one piper can command with that beautiful, majestic music. I would have liked to be there, to share the moment with you. I'm sure you would have been the piper. It's a great piece, and it must have been a thrill to lead those young people in, carrying their banners proudly. Thanks for sharing this with us.

      Delete