Saturday, November 9, 2013

There is Power in a Hymn


A beautiful hymn has an indescribable quality that touches and stirs the hearts of its listeners even more acutely than the well-chosen words of an orator could accomplish.  Clearly stated by the poet, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, 1807-1882, music is the universal language of mankind.

Beyond the tune and the poet’s rhyming stanzas, is God’s Spirit who uses these components to produce an overwhelming power that affects the emotions and makes His presence very assuring.

Thanks to God for having inspired the writing of hymns, that we may, on the right occasion, sing or play them for others to enjoy and praise God.  Hymns are the means by which lost souls will be found and saved; the power by which our fellow men and women will be brought to know forgiveness, experience renewal and have hope for eternal life.

For call to worship, the piper could select a hymn that extols God’s power, and such a hymn is, "I Sing the Mighty Power of God."

1. I sing the mighty power of God
That made the mountains rise,
That spread the flowing seas abroad
And built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained
The sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at His command,
And all the stars obey.

2. I sing the goodness of the Lord
That filled the earth with food;
He formed the creatures with His Word
And then pronounced them good.
Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed
Where’er I turn my eye:
If I survey the ground I tread
Or gaze upon the sky!

3. There’s not a plant or flower below
But makes Thy glories known;
And clouds arise and tempests blow
By order from Thy throne;
While all that borrows life from Thee
Is ever in Thy care,
And everywhere that man can be,
Thou, God art present there.
                                                                 - Isaac Watts, 1674-1748

                               

1 comment:

  1. The title reminds me of a time very early in my journey of piping... The only hymn I knew was "Amazing Grace" and it was one of about 8 or 10 tunes I knew on the pipes at the time. I was practicing outside the house in Maryland where we were staying with a friend for a few days, when the neighbor came over and began talking with me about "Amazing Grace". (As a way of explanation, I could play the pipes for longer than I had tunes memorized, so I often ended up playing some twice.) He said he was an Atheist and the repetition of "Amazing Grace" had begun to do something in his heart as he thought of the words while I played. He said he couldn't explain it, but there was a tugging sort of longing deep inside. Yes... There is, indeed, Power in a hymn! God gave the perfect opportunity to speak with this man about his need for Christ that day and all through the playing of a hymn! What a privilege to play hymns on such a persuasive and attention grabbing instrument as the pipes.

    ReplyDelete