Thursday, December 10, 2015

An Interesting Coincidence

After church service last Sunday, we stayed for a noon luncheon. It was part of a farewell for our retiring pastor and his wife. My wife and I chose a table near the back, and soon, another couple sat to my left. I was at the end of the table and my wife was to my right. We enjoyed the conversation, and after a while I learned that this lady had an integral part in organizing a Christmas parade each December. It is called, “Christmas on the Peninsula.” Plans have already been made for this year’s parade and it would be led as it has been in three previous years’ parades, by an outstanding pipe band.

Suddenly, she was surprised to recognize me as the piper who played for our Remembrance Day service, and she asked me quizzically, if Christmas carols could be played on the bagpipes. I thought it was a remarkable question, because I’ve heard others ask if “Amazing Grace” is the only hymn one can play on the pipes. I responded, saying, “Of course they can, and I published a book of arrangements for pipers to play Christmas Carols.

The lady seemed astounded. She said the pipe band was invited four times to play in that Christmas parade and never once, played a Christmas Carol. “I’m so glad I met you,” she said, "because I‘m going to ask you to work with me, to provide the music for this pipe band to play in the next Christmas parade.”

Now, wasn’t that remarkable, with over 200 people at the pastor’s farewell dinner, this lady found herself sitting next to The Church Piper! I’m confident that next year, the pipe band will be playing Christmas Carols.

I would be most interested to hear from pipers and drummers who have played in Christmas parades. Would you let others know what Christmas selections you chose for marching? A tune such as, “We Three Kings," which is in 6/8 time, would be wonderful in a Christmas parade, as would, “Joy to the World,” in Common time, or “Hark, the Herald Angels Sing,” in 4/4. I can imagine the thrill of the people along the way, and for those playing in the pipe band, as these Christmas songs ring out. Let us know your experiences and suggestions.

 Would you say this was an interesting experience, or was it just meant to be? Keith MacDonald, The Church Piper.

2 comments:

  1. Keith, it's great to hear you are still piping and bringing a smile to many people. I am grinning ear to ear as I picture you conversing with this lady. Rob and I send our love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having played your Carols and your Hymns on the pipes I have always found them beautiful and easy to play,
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete