Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Music For Morning Church Service

I am sharing the three hymns I mentioned in my last blog post. I've played them on occasion, to begin a Sunday morning's church service. I would start at the back of the sanctuary and march in with the hymn, "Teach Me To Pray." At the front, I would turn and march several times across in front of the Remembrance Table. After completing the hymn twice over, I would begin "The Lord's Prayer," at first playing almost hesitatingly, because I would be playing to God, and would be gaining confidence in "speaking" to our Heavenly Father. With confidence coming from my assurance that Jesus taught me how to pray, I would play with an even time, and with considerable feeling. Immediately, the words to the prayer would be in my head and the timing would be precise. The music would develop to the climactic point. The people would have been singing the words silently, with emotion, immersed in their quiet singing of the Lord's Prayer, just as I would be when playing those words, "For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever, Amen."

And, because playing "The Lord's Prayer," means being in direct communication with our Lord, while my pipes are "singing" the words that Jesus taught me, I am energized and it causes me to want to continue into a hymn that's right for marching out. "Singing I Go" expresses that eagerness. It is a hymn full of life, which is exactly how praying "The Lord's Prayer" prepares a person for the morning's service and for the days ahead.

These three hymns are from several of the hymnbooks for pipers in the series, The Church Piper. They are available from Henderson's Distributors.  Other medleys for call to worship are applicable, and I could be pleased to assist enthusiastic pipers to prepare their own call to worship.







No comments:

Post a Comment