Sunday, December 27, 2015

Playing in Harmony


 It is wonderful to play harmony in the band.  I would love to see and hear more pipers enjoying this experience.  Regularly, I will play harmony for such tunes as, “The Green Hills of Tyrol,” “O Rowan Tree,” “Wings,” and “Amazing Grace.”  I intend to play harmony for many more tunes, and will introduce them if anyone is desirous.  With this present blog, I hope to introduce you to a favourite hymn that I have loved since I was a lad.  I was taught to sing it, by my mother, who knew all the words, just as she did for many other hymns, such as, “When the Roll is Called Up Yonder” and “In the Garden.”  The roll has already been called for my mother, and my dad, as well as for two of my sisters.  I truly want to share with you, the hymn, “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.”  That’s because, as you will see from the words of the hymn, it is “a privilege to carry everything to God in prayer.”  You will need a piper friend to play together with you, and you will appreciate what it is to have a friend.  Even so, there is no dearer Friend than Jesus, who “will all our sorrows share.”

One of my dear friends is George Delanghe, a piper in Las Vegas.  He and I have worked together to arrange the accompanying harmony to “What a Friend We Have in Jesus.”  So far, we haven’t been able to play it together, but we’re both anxious for you to find a friend with whom you can play this hymn.  Perhaps, you will consider the words too, and assimilate them meaningfully in your own life.  We have more beautiful hymns if you would like to practice perfect timing and mutual expression, tuning your ears to the best harmony you can produce.  Don’t overlook the need to have your pipes tuned to perfection.

Like many hymns, there is a story.  The author, Joseph Scriven, was about to be married.  His bride-to-be was drowned the day before the ceremony could take place.  Later on, when he was about to marry another lady, she also died.  He lived the rest of his life trusting Jesus to help him bear his grief.



No comments:

Post a Comment