Thursday, May 13, 2010

Learning Not To Make Assumptions

Walking back to the funeral home after piping at a graveside ceremony, I asked the minister if she knew Jesus Christ personally, expecting an inspiring response.  Immediately, she stopped and replied, "Well, I know all the stories, if that's what you mean."  Then, she bustled off, not desiring to add another word.

I thought she might have responded by saying something like, "I really do try to walk in His steps every day. He guides me in all my decisions."  To my astonishment, she simply walked on, alone.

I realized that she professed to lead congregations in worship of God, and yet, did not know Him.  How then, could she tell people about Him so they'd understand?  It was like trying to explain the music of jazz without being able to play it.  I decided then, that my purpose as a Christian piper, was to tell other pipers how Jesus can be a personal friend, so they too, could live by the ideals He taught and still teaches today.  They could exemplify Him.  Besides, their music would be much more meaningful, played with their whole heart and soul.

3 comments:

  1. How can one possibly "know Jesus Christ personally" when he has been dead for 2000+ years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great question! I plan to write a complete post on this topic shortly. Please visit my blog again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great question, and if one is inspired to understand more after having read Dr. MacDonald's post, "Knowing God" by J I Packer is a superb book on the subject and worth checking out. Essential reading.

    ReplyDelete